Jody W. is delighted. Jody is a retired, 80-year-young Redwood City resident who loves her fitness and water-color classes. But getting to them was a challenge.
Jody is not alone. Transportation is on many people’s minds. That’s why people are delighted to find out that 70 Strong can assist them in trying out Lyft, the ride-share service.
And after one free ride to a doctor’s appointment, the cost is only $4 per ride for people who live in the Sequoia Healthcare District, regardless of the distance they travel. That is, people who live in Atherton, Belmont, Redwood City, Redwood Shore, San Carlos, Woodside and Portola Valley and parts of Menlo Park, Foster City and San Mateo (ZIP code 94404).
It’s proving to be popular. People are taking 500 rides a month.
A former tech worker, Jody takes classes several days a week and meets with friends at the Veterans Memorial Senior Center in Redwood City. It was there that she met Theodora Kyle-Singer, 70 Strong’s Lead Community Navigator.
Kyle-Singer was glad to assist Jody with Lyft who had heard about the service but hadn’t been able to try out. With Kyle-Singer’s helping hand, Jody is now a regular rider.
“It is so convenient and it’s so nice,” she says. Plus, she notes, it’s great for her friends who don’t have cell phones.
Here’s how the special Lyft service works:
First, everyone who uses it must pre-register for the service.
For people who don’t use mobile phones or apps:
- 70 Strong Navigators introduce people to the folks at the Menlo Park-based Little House transportation hotline who run it.
- A Lyft driver can take people to the Veterans Memorial Senior Center in Redwood City or to and from Little House and doctor’s appointments, dentist and other medical services from San Mateo to Menlo Park.
- The cost is a flat rate of $4 a trip for people who live in the Sequoia Healthcare District.
- For people who live outside the District, standard Lyft rates apply.
For people who use mobile phones and apps:
- 70 Strong Navigators can arrange one free ride to a 70 Strong activity.
- 70 Strong Navigators will gladly teach people how to download the Lyft app and use it on their phones whenever they’d like.
To learn about these and other Transportation options, go to the 70 Strong directory. Or call a 70 Strong Navigator at 650.780.7547.